MEM is collection project by Paula Malleus. MEM has a modern and avantgarde shapes and Paula has been on a search for new forms strait from the beginning. Paula has been working on customer projects with old or repurposed materials since the beginning of her career- so it was only natural that when se started to create MEM in 2012 that the only material for MEM would be post consumer waste.
MEM is trademark of Paula Malleus and has been developed since 2012. Paula has been working with clothes for twenty years and recycling and upcycling for a decade. 2007 She co-founded Remake Ekodesign Ltd which is a pioneer on a Finnish upcycle field. Since then she has been working only with recycled materials mainly on custom work. All MEM products are produced in Finland. They are made by Finnish textile professionals locally and also from local post consumer waste.
This is custom heading element
Fifth collection by MEM was presented at Helsinkin Fashion Week, 21st July 2018
"The name ENDURE is a message of overconsuming the natural resources and the destruction and loss of species on Earth. The collection is a plea for the planet to endure," tells Paula Malleus, the driving force behind MEM. The name also hints to time consuming and persistent work, that Paula has had done in the past decade when pushing forward sustainability and circularity. ENDURE has been completely made from surplus clothes from Vantaa SPR Kontti. The prints that Paula has designed are produced at Kokkotyö-foundation. Thus ENDURE combines uniquely and concreatly strong design, circular economy and an impact on the society.
“MEM – the brand by finnish designer Paula Malleus – has showed a strongly innovative and modern collection, made exclusively out of post consumer waste, which makes her the very first designer in the world to ever show a collection fully made of textile waste.”
- VOGUE ITALY
MEM is upcycled and it means all material (excluding some components) are collected from post consumer textile waste flow by Finnish red cross (SPR KONTTI VANTAA) and printed parts come from Kokkotyö-Säätiö.
Through the years of working with recycling centers and new kind of production methods we got to know what kind of cycle of material flow there is in textile -and clothes waste.
By taking in all the information there was available we started to map the basic shapes of pieces we could get out of the textile and material flow. In the existing form lies the base for the upcycle design we create in MEM.
Right now the material from our production comes from Finnish red cross (the biggest recycler in finland). MEM is made and sold only in Finland. Every MEM piece is made by order, but all the pieces are made so that they can be also serial producted.
IDEAL Production method path:
1. Testing and creating a form / draping tests- Creating rough test pieces
– Creating the test piece straight from the postconsumer waste from what it´s made. From there we get the information how the Item should be cut to pieces for further production and we can also move the old form partly or totaly to this new creation.
2. Rough patterns
3. Fittings for test pieces
4. Test piece corrections + rough pattern corrections
5. Sample piece production
6. Fittings for sample pieces
7. Pattern correction & completion
8. Shoots for Lookbook and Editorials
9. 1st pieces in different sizes
10. “Testdrive” (all product are tested on how they work in use to be make sure that there are no technical issues)
11. Bottom stock (1 piece per each size)
12. Gathering all full production files
13. Production for orderpiece stock (+1 of each size for covering sells)
14. Release show / press night (can be also earlier)
15. Sales & marketing
16. Production for orders by retailers and customers.
Questions and inquiries
Paula Malleus / MEM
+358 50 300 8535
Showroom & Atelje:
Arkadiankatu 31 lh 5
00100 Helsinki, Finland
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.